The next MEP – after Christofer Fjellner (SE) – rejects the proposal: Jussi Halla-aho (FI)
Snippets of his speech:
- The large number of ammendments is encouraging as many of them address the most excessive and disproportional details in the proposal. The rapporteur has also generally done a good job.
- We should reject not only the proposed and unjustified ban on semi-automatic sporting rifles that are subcategorized A6 and A7, but also the proposed recategorisation of legal firearms as a whole.
This rejection has already been done by LIBE.
- We also should reject the nearly total ban of category A firearms which would lead to destruction of valuable historical collections. These weapons are not used in crime and are already strictly controlled.
This ban was also rejected by LIBE.
- We should reject mandatory time limits for licenses and medical checks because they only lead to more bureaucrazy and inconveniece without impact on crime.
These were rejected by LIBE.
- I support to reject the whole proposal as it violates all principles of good regulation.
- The Commission tried to took advantage of the tragic event in Paris last November to push through a largely ideological anti-firearm proposal.
This has greatly damaged the image and credibility of the EU.
- The attitude of the Commission in the Committee hearings has been incredible.
It is now up to the Parliament to try and undo that damage.